1. Best thing about being a financial adviser?
Helping people; helping them reach their goals, helping them to understand their finances, helping them to be knowledgeable about investing and being comfortable about their decisions.
2. One thing you would like to see improved or changed in the industry?
To keep improving the professionalism and standards of all advisers. Greater education is the key.
3. The areas on their finances or economy that worry your clients the most?
Adverse rule changes that occur, significant market volatility and longevity risk.
4. What's the strangest question a client has ever asked you?
Where does the money go when the markets goes down!
5. If you could get three things into consumers' heads about what advisers do or don't do what would they be?
a) Advisers don’t control the markets. We control what strategy and recommend investments that are entered into.
b) Saving for retirement is like a long distance race, not a sprint. Advisers are the coach to make sure you reach the finish line in good shape.
c) Advisers often take what the client thinks "is complicated," and break it down to make it simple, by identifying what is important for the client and determining solution(s) for their problem(s).
6. How do you describe your job at BBQs?
Work "in finance", if asked further - then "Financial Planner."