Our Adviser Profile this week is Neale Forbes, a Gold Adviser who is the Principal of Forbes Wealth Planning. Neale is based in Modbury in the North East suburbs of Adelaide, but also services Yorketown on the Yorke Peninsula in South Australia.
1. Best thing about being a financial adviser?
Being paid to do something you love, which is helping people.
2. One thing you would like to see improved or changed in the industry?
I would like to see more accountability at the corporate and licence level which is quite likely to implemented out of the Royal Commission.
3. The areas on their finances or economy that worry your clients the most?
My clients biggest worry is running out of money in retirement. Worrying about volatility (market ups and downs) is more of a cyclical concern.
4. What's the strangest question a client has ever asked you?
In the middle of the Global Financial Crisis – “Do you want to hear a joke?”.
5. If you could get three things into consumers' heads about what advisers do or don't do what would they be?
a) BE - An honest adviser with integrity will have your best interests at heart.
b) DO - It is a proven fact that getting financial advice adds significant value over time.
c) DO – Help clients avoid rash decisions. “Be fearful when everyone else is being greedy and greedy when everyone else is being fearful”- Warren Buffett.
6. How do you describe your job at BBQs?
We help people achieve their financial and lifestyle goals to ensure the right people get the right money at the right time. Advice for life.
7. What is the difference between fees and commissions.
Fee based advice is a flat fee paid from where ever the client likes, where as a commission is a percentage charge to the investment product sold by the Adviser.