Jodie Douglas provides us with this weeks Adviser Profile. Jodie is a Platinum adviser with 7 client reviews and an average customer rating of 4.99 out of 5 Stars. Jodie Founded Mad about Life Risk Advice at Paradise Point on the Gold Coast.
1. Best thing about being a financial adviser?
Being Mad about LIFE – our brand says it all!
I love helping everyday Australian’s to become more aware of their financial circumstances & educating them in all areas of financial advice, in an easy to understand, educational and most importantly an enjoyable format.
Providing our clients with awareness, peace of mind & choice of lifestyle with financial freedom – is why I do what I do!
2. One thing you would like to see improved or changed in the industry?
The perception of financial advice!
It is my #1 goal to educate the wider community about what we do and why seeking advice is so valuable!
Everyday Australians should feel comfortable and excited about seeking financial advice & have a good understanding about what it is we do & the value we provide.
3. The areas on their finances or economy that worry your clients the most?
They often come to us for assistance with solving a broad range of everyday financial problems, so they can live the life they choose without any financial worries:
- Generally people have a lack of understanding of financial concepts & the many options available to them – our clients want to be educated and become more aware of their situation, so they can make informed decisions to better their situation;
- They want help to save towards a goal (whether it be a holiday, a home, a wedding or for their children’s future);
- They’re not aware of where their money goes and want some help to develop & maintain a household budget;
- Having a solid “what if?” plan, in case something unexpected happens;
- Getting their overall financial affairs in order;
- Reducing debt;
- Is superannuation going to be enough for their retirement in the distant future?
4. What's the strangest question a client has ever asked you?
This question has been asked a few times now so it’s not as strange as it was when a client first asked me it.
It is a question that usually arises half way through our first meeting – the Financial Awareness meeting.
Client says: “Can I ask you a question? What if something happens to you?”
I love this question as it is indeed a compliment & a clear indication that our new client is satisfied that I can help solve their problems. This is how I know I’ve done a great job at building the initial trust with the client and developing a solid foundation for a long client/Adviser relationship.
5. If you could get three things into consumers' heads about what advisers do or don't do what would they be?
a) We aim to improve the financial future of everyday Australians – you don’t need to be rich or old before you seek advice;
b) We are not sales people; we are trusted advisers who work for our clients!
c) Advice is not expensive. Remember, anything of value is worth paying for & you will reap the rewards by investing in your financial future.
6. How do you describe your job at BBQs?
I’m a Financial Adviser – I help everyday Australians be more financially Mad About LIFE!
7. What is the most valuable attribute of a Financial Adviser?
Listening skills - we must know how to listen to people! I believe we learn so much from people when we take the time to listen to their problems, passions and stories. Listening allows us to understand how we can best help someone.
8. What is the most valuable piece of financial advice someone has ever given to you?
Time - is the most valuable asset when it comes to money & accumulating wealth. Start early, start when you’re very young & be consistent in developing good financial habits – If you do this, time will fly and you’ll be a financial success before you know it!